Canals of Burgundy, France
Glide along the canals of Burgundy between Chateaux, markets, historical sites, vineyards and beautiful countryside on your exclusive barge with all the services of the most exclusive of hotel
The Fleur de Lys Peniche – or barge – glides up and down the canals of Burgundy, between Dijon and St Leger. This is beautiful chateaux and vineyard country with interesting historic sites and bustling market towns along the way. Days are spent relaxing on board as the beautiful scenery slips by and sallying forth as and when you desire.
An air-conditioned SUV follows the boat, ready on hand for any excursion you wish to make. There are bicycles on board or you can jump off for a stroll, go hot air ballooning, go karting or horse riding. Your guide could take you truffle hunting, or on a chateau visit, to an historical site or sign up to The Wine Academy Burgundy workshop for half the week; go with the chef to market or breeze around the shops yourselves, play boules and re-join the barge to relax – your mother ship is never far away.
And what a barge! Fleur de Lys bears very little resemblance to the cargo vessel she once was. Three luxurious cabins with bathrooms en suite, dining room and sumptuous drawing room with mini-grand piano, decorated elegantly and furnished with Louis XVI antiques and contemporary pieces, plush Indian fabrics and oak panelling. Inside are all modern conveniences and air-conditioning. Step outside to the sun deck and outdoor dining room and the heated plunge pool!
There are a surprising number of staff on board who look after your every need. Crew members speak French and English and include your chef, hosts and boat crew, there to help you get the most out of your days.
• Champagne reception & dinner on board
• Chateau de Pommard, St Leger (a guided tour of this magnificent privately-owned property & grounds, winetasting amid Cotes de Beaune & art collection)
• Chateau de Germolle, Canal du Centre (A private tour with the owner, the Duke of Burgundy)
• Chalon sur Saone & lunch at Levernois (tour of Beaune & visit famous Hotel Dieu & private wine-tasting)
• Dijon market day, tour & shopping
• Morning drive along the famous Route des Grands Crus
• Visit to Clos de Vougeot (Renaissance chateau & vineyard, headquarters of the renowned Burgundian Wine Society) & cruise to Longecourt
• Chef’s on board gala dinner
• Departure after breakfast